Phony endorsement in the Telegraph

Hmmm!

A newsbrief item on page 4 of the Telegraph's Travel Supplement on Saturday (26 Aug) catches my eye... and sticks in my throat.

Terror Alert hits Travel

Cheapflights.co.uk, the UK's leading travel price search and comparison site, has reported a 19% drop in people searching for flights since the terror alert a fortnight ago.


Is Cheapflight.co.uk the UK's leading travel price search and comparison site, in the considered view of the Telegraph's travel editor? It's quite an endorsement!

I think not. At least I don't think that's the description the Telegraph intended.

Especially since Cheapflight's PR company sent me the same press release... which begins (as ALL of their weekly press releases for Cheapflights do):

"Cheapflights.co.uk, the UK's leading travel price search and comparison site, ...".
Oh well, I suppose it's easy enough to mess up and let a phrase like that slip through into the copy, but I would hope that you never see a marketing strapline appearing in Travel-Lists. I spend hours carefully extracting the sales-speak from press releases when I'm writing them up, and taking out the word "just" before prices in special offers!



Comments

Popular Posts