Is this the face that launched a thousand articles?

On Monday (17 May) I tweeted that this up-n-coming news story was guaranteed to become a tabloid newspaper feeding frenzy.

Not hard to see why it works.

V pretty, young (22 ffs!), blonde + easy to understand story + big f**k-off mountain (scene of former Brit glory) + heroic achievement = wet dream for tabloid newspaper editors.

...but I underestimated.

Not only have the temperate Guardian & BBC have enthusiastically run with it...it's already gone worldwide. Even China's Epoch Times and Vietnam's VT News have gobbled up the female mountaineer climbs Everest story.

Don't get me wrong. I think think she's done great, but that's not really my point.

Expect more..... lots more.

(And now, I'm using that photo, groan.)

Comments

Popular Posts